Things I wished someone told me in my freshman year:
- Most people, if not everyone, are competitive.
- Get a job
- It’s orientation period, not semester, not year
- Find more utility friends than pleasure friends
- There’s more to life than extra-curricula in school
- You don’t have to befriend everyone just because of connections
Most people, if not everyone, are competitive.
- They’ll come after all the leadership positions if you won’t
- They’ll push you to the back of the bell curve if you’re slow
Get a job
- You’re left with about 4 years until life really begins and allowances stop coming in.
- Having friends in university can be costly since you’ll eat out more often.
- You’ll find out many of your friends actually have a lot of savings in their bank account, and you don’t.
- What happens if your friends want to go on a graduation trip and you can’t afford it?
- What happens if you can’t find a job immediately after graduation?
It’s orientation period, not semester, not year
- It’s not okay to have a bad gpa in the first semester like the seniors said
- In fact, it’s a snow ball effect.
- Consistency is key when it comes to academics & befriend your professors
- The modules are connected and require a good understanding of the previous modules so you should study hard from the start, instead of partying
Find more utility friends than pleasure friends
- You need friends to help you with homework if you are stuck
- They help remind you about deadlines
- Pleasure friends will ditch you eventually and find more “fun” pleasurable friends
- Pleasure friends will probably have really bad GPAs and they’ll cover it up with many extra curriculars and clubbing
- Sometimes, if you’re lucky, utility friends can become virtue friends because you start to spend quality time together
There’s more to life than extra-curricula in school
- If you keep joining school clubs, your resume won’t look as good as those who contributed outside of school
- Be careful and only join clubs that will really teach you something or at least help you build useful connections
You don’t have to befriend everyone just because of connections
- Know that there’s useful connections and useless ones
- If you disagree what the person stands for or believes in, don’t force yourself to be his Friend just for connections